Spirituality in Cortona
Ideal place for religious tourism
landscape contribute to making Cortona the ideal destination for those in search of spiritual stimuli and quiet meditation-spots. Cortona is intimately bound with the early stages of the Franciscan movement.
The Celle hermitage was, in fact, the first convent St.Francis built upon arriving into town in 1211. This convent, perched on the slope of mount St. Egidio , gave shelter, other than to St. Francis, to brother Elia Coppi, St. Bonaventura and St.Anthony of Padua.
Work on the church of St.Francis was commenced in 1245 by brother Elia Coppi, a faithful companion of St.Francis’ and the second general of the Order. Built in plain Gothic style, with a large rose-window on the façade and svelte double-lancet windows on the side walls and in the apse, the church houses Pietro Berrettini’s (Pietro da Cortona) very last work, remarkable paintings and frescoes by other artists and brother Elia Coppi’s bones.